Friday, August 11, 2006

TGIF!!

I hope everyone is planning on a wonderful and safe weekend. We have no plans, my DH works Sunday, but is off Saturday, so we will spend the day relaxing and trying to stay cool.

I just finished re-reading the Earth's Children series of books by Jean M. Auel. Most people are familiar with "Clan of the Cave Bear", which was made into a movie starring Daryl Hannah. The movie is good, considering they had to take so much and condense it into so little. It was also re-vamped a lot to make it more understandable to anyone who has not read the book. However, if you have read the book, you probably won't like the movie. There is so much that is left out in the movie, it makes it difficult to watch, almost. I am anxiously awaiting the next in the series!

I'm also re-reading "Cry to Heaven" by Anne Rice. It is about the castrati singers of Italy, and I found the story fascinating. It's, to me, historical fiction, in that the story itself is fiction but based on the events of the time. I then found an audio file of the last of the Castrati, Alessandro Moreschi. He was about 46 at the time the recording was made in 1902. Even though the audio is not the best, given the recording technology of the time, it still demonstrates why the Castrati were revered. While I by no means condone the practice, I do understand why people enjoyed hearing them perform.

I have taken up a new hobby, knitting on round or rectangle looms. I have never been able to grasp knitting with needles, but I love this technique! I have several projects on board, and am also working on 3 crochet projects and I have at least 4 cross stitch projects scattered around the house. LOL I also have some beaded jewelry to make for Christmas gifts, so perhaps those will be my plans for the weekend?

Have a great weekend!

Heather

No comments: